Thursday, October 30, 2008

Recoving well from last week

The first experience of chemo was a positive one. Last Thursday was a life changing time with all the new information I had to learn about my situation and the lovely ladies I met as the day progressed. I was profoundly moved by how cancer radically changes your world view and your everyday tasks. I am grateful for the eyes to see such beauty and grace in the faces of those I met on the 7th floor of Walter Reed.

As the day started I sat with all the other chemo patients and our drugs were delived from the pharmacy. When everything was ready my nurse had me hold the bags of cocktails to read them back to her for verifcation on the type and amount of drugs we were going to put into my body. I was scared, awed and knew I had to do this. It was a life changing moment. It was so nice to walk through this with my husband Jim. He is an amazing man who God often uses to stabilize me in a profound way.

In the recovery process I had a bit of constipation due to the strong drugs so I just worked through it all. I just didn't feel good. Between the hysterectomy hot and cold flashes and the effects of the Taxol and Carboplatin I was coping. It brought me to a place of just taking each moment at a time. I kinda feel like I am on a huge river ride and I am going with the current as God holds me in the boat.

So now a week out from my first chemo I'm recovering well and often I feel the drug side effects throughout my day. The body is a remarkable creation of God and I have been thinking and praying good thoughts over my situation for God's purpose and plan. This cancer is so much bigger than me - I know this without a shadow of a doubt.

Today is a good day! I appreciate your love and support! hugs - k

10 comments:

Kristie said...

Glad you posted today . . . I was wondering how you were today. Praying with you:)

Martha said...

Khris,
You are wonderful! You are always so positive .I know God is watching over you and he will never give you more than you can handle. Dave always says, there is a reason for everything . Our love and prayers are with and your great family. Dave and Martha

Simple stories girl said...

You share your thoughts and emotions so beautifully. Not only is it good to hear how you are doing, but you are such an encouragement to me in your viewpoints. I love you girlfriend.

Ebeth said...

Khris,
You are such an encouragement - thank you for your heart and focus for God. Thank Jim for his every steadfast foundation in the Lord. You are both an example of God's grace during this time. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Elizabeth & John

Deb said...

Hang tough Khris. Think about you every day. Love, DEB

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

I remember you showing me the many different journals you collected.. and said that writing was important because it showed you a lot, like where you've been. Please keep writing as often as possible.Your inspiration and encouragement have blessed my life, Khris.
Kristin

Jennie said...

Khris - Thanks for sharing your heart and journey with us. I appreciate your candor. Feel free to share on bad days too, though. :-)

Lisa J. said...

You have amazing strength! Your positive outlook says so much about you. Keeping you close in thought and prayer, Lisa

Gabby Seagrave said...

Khris,

LaDonna normally keeps me posted or we read your blogs together. I think about you a lot and want you to know that we keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Yes, prayers.... although we don't get to the church that often, our spirituality is there and going strong....especially when sending love and positive thoughts your way.

Here is a big hug and kiss for you!! Keep posting when you can so we can stay connected and continue the flow of love to you. xoxo
Gabby