Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Today was Chemo #4

Hey All - great news here! I had my fourth Chemo today. It was a bit of a touch and go thing....let me explain. On Friday I got a call from my doctor and chemo nurse telling me I was neutopenic ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/neutropenic low white blood cell count basically) and to be careful not to be in big public places, wash my hands often and eat food that is cooked very well. And I did those things.

So on Monday morning I went up the Walter Reed early and had my blood drawn stat. And then I met up with Dr. Allard at 9:30am to hear the results and to see if I could have chemo on Tuesday. In my appointment I had an exam on my hysterectomy incisions - they are still healing nicely. He also checked my lymph systems and they were fine. Then we discussed the blood work. All the levels were back to normal so I was good to go for my 4th Chemo. Yeah! I had bounced right back fortunately just like Sarah, my cancer nurse, said I might.

As Dr. Allard and I discussed my blood work I asked him what my CA 125 was. He shared 23.8. Anything at/or under a count of 35 is normal. This news is my favorite Christmas present for 2008. This test is a marker (a lens/a piece of the pie) to help the doctors see if the chemo is working. He was pleased and I was totally elated that I cried. When I started chemo I was at 63 and on my 3rd chemo I was at 51. And it dropped 27.2 points since December 3rd. All this work is paying off thanks be to God!! I am overwhelmed with the progress and how my body is healing from within. This doesn't mean that it won't go back up but yesterday was a good day!!

And today was a good day!! Jim and I went up to Walter Reed and had our 4th chemo day. It went off with out a hitch. I am feeling good and tired. Need to get some rest...thank you for standing with me and praying. I appreciate your love and support!!

I wish you all a great week with your families and friends - we love you! I'll be in touch soon!
hugs, Khris

3 comments:

Heidi said...

That is the best news I've heard all week.
Heidi xoxo

Scott said...

Hey Gorgeous,

It was great seeing you, Jim, and Danielle for the holiday. Thank you for making the effort. I still think it would have been better to visit at your place though. Thanks you for the education on what chemo can do to you.

I love you and believe in you

Scott

Unknown said...

We are thinking about you...I'm trying to remember if we sent a holiday card your way. (?) :-)
Hopefully you've had some time to enjoy the holidays while getting time to rest and hang out with loved ones. Much love, LaDonna, Gabby and Camille